Dr. Lerner’s odyssey toward holistic dentistry began before he even thought of becoming a dentist. As a child, he had many cavities that resulted in repair with mercury silver fillings. It seemed that at every checkup, there were more mercury silver fillings to be placed. Then, as many kids do, Dr. Lerner broke a tooth in an accident and it had to be removed. The orthodontist decided to close the space by bringing his teeth all the way over to the front from the right to the left. His teeth ended up looking straight but his jaw was crooked.
Dr. Lerner later learned that his crooked jaw led to a variety of problems – including head and neck aches. After graduating from dental school, Dr. Lerner began TMJ treatment. When the treatment finally brought relief, Dr. Lerner began his journey toward understanding the mouth-body connection in earnest and soon learned that the bite can affect much more than your mouth.
A dental implant is an artificial tooth root placed into your jaw to hold a replacement tooth, bridge or denture. Dental implants are an ideal option for people in good health who have lost a tooth or teeth due to periodontal disease, an injury, or for some other reason. Initially, implants were all made of pure titanium. Today that is no longer the case. Many implants used today are made of titanium mixed with aluminum and vanadium. While they are cheaper, cheaper is rarely better. When we screen for biocompatibility, we find that most people are sensitive to these cheaper titanium alloys. We favor implants being manufactured in Europe where standards for biocompatibility are more stringent.
Benefits of Dental Implants
- Replace one or more teeth without affecting bordering teeth
- Support a bridge and eliminate the need for a removable partial denture
- Provide support for a denture, making it more secure and comfortable
- Create a more youthful appearance. Increase your confidence
- Allow you to eat whatever you like
Benefits of Pure Titanium Implants:
- We have a long track record of results.
- Titanium implants are made in two parts. The part that goes below the gum can be covered when the implant is placed to provide undisturbed healing. The part that goes above the gum to hold the tooth can be screwed into place later and the shape is readily customized to adapt to the requirements of the bite or for cosmetics.
- Pure titanium is one of the most biocompatible metals with long use in orthopedic medicine.
- Titanium implants encourage an intimate adhesion of bone around them which makes them suitable for the long term replacement of teeth.
For some time, we used only pure titanium implants because we found that most patients are not sensitive to pure titanium. Now we are able to offer implants that are metal-free made of a material called Zirconia.
Benefits of Metal-Free Zirconia Implants:
- Zirconia has become popular as a desirable implant material because it interacts well with the natural gum and bone, making it biocompatible.
- Metal-free implants are biological dental implants, meaning they’re a more holistic option for those interested in treatments that support total health.
- For cosmetic reasons, zirconia is a better choice. Titanium dental implants may cause a dark line around the gum. Zirconia is a more natural color, eliminating this effect.
- When it comes to dental hygiene, zirconia is favored by many periodontists because it discourages the buildup of plaque and tartar in a way that titanium does not. That means less risk of gum disease in the future.
- Because of the increased interest in holistic dentistry and metal-free treatments, zirconia dental implants are gaining in popularity. For patients who suffer from sensitivity to titanium, metal-free dental implants offer an excellent alternative.
Our decision as to the best option for you is made based on consideration of your preferences and biologic needs. If you are missing teeth and are interested in using the healthiest, most biocompatible methods to replace them, give us a call today!
Dr. Lerner has over 37 years of experience and training in many of the cosmetic dentistry procedures you are looking for. A cosmetic dental tune-up can take years off the appearance of your face. Using advanced concepts known as Bioesthetic Dentistry, we can give you a smile that makes you feel proud to talk, laugh, and smile with total freedom! We offer many traditional and advanced cosmetic procedures including Zoom® bleaching, porcelain veneers and Invisalign® orthodontics to brighten and straighten your teeth and restore your beautiful smile. But the appearance of your smile is not the only thing we consider. We use a holistic approach to cosmetic dentistry known as Bioesthetic Dentistry to ensure a comfortable, healthy bite and jaw placement. This means that your cosmetic treatments will also enhance your overall health and be long lasting!
Teeth Whitening with Zoom® Bleaching
Coffee, medication, tobacco, and age can discolor tooth enamel. If your smile has turned a yellow or brown hue, consider wiping away those stains with professional-grade teeth whitening. Dr. Lerner and his team offer different options that can dramatically brighten your smile and return it to the smile you remember. You will be amazed at the changes that can come about within a couple of hours. Your smile will be brighter and, like others we have done this for, you will feel more confident in yourself and showing off your beautiful smile.
Versatile and strengthening, porcelain veneers are one of our most complete cosmetic solutions for smile imperfections. Porcelain veneers cover your front teeth and mask everything from stains to chips to gaps. Because each handcrafted veneer is created by a dental ceramicist, color and shape are custom-designed just for you. Talk with advanced cosmetic dentist Dr. David Lerner about stain resistant porcelain veneers, and let him help you find the smile you’ve always wanted.
If a chipped or stained front tooth needs only minor cosmetic repairs, you may want to consider bonding. Bonding can be used to perfect a wide variety of problems from small gaps to chips and cracks. Bonding can even help cover stains that whitening won’t budge. Using a small amount of dental resin, tinted to match your tooth color, we can quickly renew your teeth to their original beauty and shape.
Gum & Tooth Recontouring
Sometimes perfection is in the details. Minor flaws in the evenness of your smile can make a major difference. We can smooth and perfect both your teeth and your gums – removing excess gum tissue, evening tooth edges, and bringing balance for a flawless, brilliant smile.