Dr. Pooya Aflatooni has been a resident of Virginia for the last fifteen years. He graduated with suma cum lauda honors from George Mason University with a Bachelor of Science and was inducted to Tau Sigma honor society. Dr. Aflatooni successfully attended dental school at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry (VCU School of Dentistry).
He has been practicing the full scope of dentistry for adults and children throughout his successful career.
Dr. Aflatooni has devoted his professional career to all aspects of general and cosmetic dentistry, with special interest in placement of dental implants, Clear Orthodontic therapy, surgical extraction, and bone graft. He highly believes in customized individual treatment plan and strong doctor-patient relationships and communication.
Dr. Aflatooni is also a talent in his own right when it comes to cosmetic dentistry ( click the ‘before & after’ tab on the website to check out the pictures of some of his patients). Dr. Aflatooni is amongst a select group of dentists in Northern Virginia who specializes in both general and cosmetic dentistry.
Dr. Aflatooni Aflatooni is a member of American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), American Dental Association (ADA), Academy of General Dentistry (AGD), and Virginia Dental Association (VDA).
Dental implants are the most commonly used treatment option these days while replacing the missing natural teeth with the best possible results. Dental implant is placed within the jaw bone and it functions as an artificial root. After its healing it is loaded with the abutment and an artificial crown.
Why are Dental Implants Important
Other than tooth replacement, the most important reason for implant placement is preservation of the underlying bone. Whenever a tooth falls off or extracted, the bone in its vicinitystarts resorbing as it is not in function. The progressive resorption ofthe bone reduces its height. This becomes even more significant in multiple teeth loss. Extra-orally, the facial structure and muscles gets collapsed giving older appearance. Dental implants placement preserves the resorption further or rather slow down the process. Along with artificial crown placement, it can even restore the missing gum portion providing the proper contours in the cheek area.
The benefits of getting dental crowns
A dental crown is a tooth-shaped “cap” that fully covers the entire visible portion of a tooth lying at and above the gum line. Its purpose is to strengthen the tooth and improve its appearance by restoring its shape and size. Your dental crown is customized according to your exact specifications in terms of shape, size, color, and fit..
Benefits of Saving the Natural Tooth
Root canal is the treatment of choice due to different clinical reasons, but there are also numerous practical reasons why saving the natural tooth is a wise choice. Endodontic treatment helps you maintain your natural smile, give you the full freedom to continue eating the foods you love. With proper care, most teeth that have had root canal treatment has shown a very long lifespan.
Teeth Whitening and Cleaning
- Improved oral health :The examination and visit to a dentist every 6 months for a routine dental check-up has a good impact in one’s life. Disease free mouth is a step towards a healthy body. That’s why mouth is called the mirror of the body.
- Reduced risk of periodontal diseases :The gum diseases like gingivitis is initiated with the plaque accumulation in the sulcus area in the gums. This is reversible if treated at an early stage. If ignored or left untreated, condition usually progresses with time and involves the bone along with the gums. this is then termed as periodontitis. This is not reversible completely. Periodontitis is linked with diabetes. One of the most commonly seen hormonal dysfunction in people with poor lifestyle and habits. Periodontitis is almost seen inevery patient with diabetes.
- Reduced incidence of cavities :Proper brushing habits and professional cleaning reduces the bacterial load in the mouth. This is associated with reduced risk of caries along with improvement in the periodontal health.
- Improved self-awareness :Improved self care and awareness is improved with a healthy smile. This has a great impact on the self esteem, with a positive attitude towards health and other aspects of life.
- Improved cardio-vascular health :The microbial load in an unhealthy mouth may enter the blood stream. These micro-organisms has shown to form microbial vegetative colonies in the heart valves affecting the cardiovascular health. This includes infective endocarditis, poor functioning of the valves causing murmurs and rarely, even pathogenic strains may cause toxemia in extremely severe cases.