Dr. Stephen L. Chan is a dentist with special emphasis in bio-compatible, biological, green, natural, and holistic dentistry. He has expertise in all major aspects of dentistry, including general and cosmetic dentistry. Dr. Chan has over 30 years of experience and also keeps up with all the latest techniques in dentistry as well. He has a regular dental column in the health section of a local newspaper to educate the public on the newest trends in dentistry. He’s dedicated to utilizing the most effective technology to create outstanding smiles for his patients and help them to achieve better health.
Dr. Chan’s Associations and Certifications
- International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology
- International Academy of Biological Dentistry and Medicine
- The Bio-Compatible Dentist
- Holistic Dental Association
- The Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation
- ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
- Certified Health Coach
Dental implants are basically small titanium posts that are used as the replacement for the roots of a missing tooth. These implants are inserted into the jawbone while a patient is under local anesthesia. This surgical procedure is minor and very routine. Over time, the implant will fuse to the jawbone. After it has properly fused, we’ll place a lifelike crown on top of the implant that’s custom-made to match the rest of the teeth.
Our Dental Implant Replacement Solutions
Dental implants aren’t only capable of replacing one tooth either – they can be used to replace multiple teeth as well. At Smilehaven Dental Center, we’re able to provide a wide variety of tooth replacement solutions that include:
- Single tooth replacement
- Anterior replacement
- Posterior replacement
- Full upper replacement
The Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer many benefits, including the following:
- Dental implants will look, feel, and perform the exact same as your other teeth.
- You’ll still be able to eat whatever you like.
- Dental implants are the only tooth restoration option that will both preserve your jawbone and help stimulate bone growth.
- Because a dental implant is inserted into the jawbone, it won’t cause any damage to the surrounding teeth.
- Implants won’t negatively affect your speech.
Holistic dentistry offers a different approach to dentistry than traditional dental care. A holistic dentist believes that a person’s oral health is connected to the health of the rest of the body and will place an emphasis on whole-body healing and wellness instead of just simply treating an oral problem. They won’t just take care of a person’s mouth – they’ll essentially take care of a patient’s entire body with bio-compatible whole body dentistry.
Principles of a Holistic Dentist
Your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA holistic dentist follows the principles of holistic dentistry, which can differ from a traditional dentist. For example, your natural dentist believes in the following philosophies:
- There won’t be any usage of mercury fillings as these contain toxins. Instead, your holistic dentist will use biologically compatible and safe dental materials like mercury-free fillings. If any mercury is already present in a filling, your natural dentist can safely remove it.
- There’s a focus on preventing and treating gum disease from a biological perspective.
- When there’s tooth decay, your natural dentist will work to preserve as much healthy tooth structure as possible.
- Additionally, they’ll use the least invasive and least traumatic methods.
- Your holistic dentist will even encourage patients to maintain balanced diets and stay healthy in order to prevent or reverse oral disease.
Veneers are essentially thin shells that can be utilized as covers for a patient’s teeth. They’ll be able to mask dental imperfections and restore the appearance of the teeth, allowing for a more beautiful smile. Veneers blend in flawlessly with existing teeth; others will just assume that they’re part of your natural teeth.
The Benefits of Veneers
The main benefit of veneers is that they’ll restore the appearance of your teeth if you happen to have any noticeable defects or problems with them. They’ll mask any of these minor imperfections and also help restore a proper function to them, making your teeth more durable.
Having said that, there are many other dental treatments that can be used to fix cracked, broken, or otherwise imperfect teeth as well. These can include crowns and dental implants. However, we at Smilehaven Dental Center believe that veneers are by far the best option when they’re applicable. Veneers will leave as much of your natural tooth structure intact as possible, which will help ensure the integrity of the tooth. This will optimize your dental health as well as your overall health.
What Types of Imperfections Can Veneers Fix?
Veneers are excellent at restoring a number of different dental problems. They can fix teeth that are:
Placing veneers is a simple process that follows these basic steps:
- First, you’ll want to visit your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA holistic dentist so that we can discuss how you’d like the veneers to look. If needed, we can even provide you with a model of your teeth so that you can see what the finished result will look like.
- In order to fit the veneers on your teeth, we may need to remove a small amount of your tooth enamel.
- We’ll then take molds of your teeth so that we can use them to craft permanent veneers. Creating veneers can take some time so we’ll give you temporary veneers to wear while the permanent ones are being crafted.
- After the permanent veneers have been finished, you’ll come back and your La Mesa and El Cajon, CA holistic dentist will replace your temporary veneers with permanent veneers and then cement them onto your teeth. When that’s completed, your smile will look better than ever!
The Benefits of Teeth Whitening
Teeth whitening offers many benefits that include, but aren’t limited to, the following:
- Your smile will look better.
- You’ll also project a more youthful and attractive image.
- It can allow you to be yourself; you won’t be afraid to smile or laugh for fear of showing your teeth.
- It will give you more confidence.
- In addition, it may even give you more motivation.
Why You Should Come to Smilehaven Dental for Teeth Whitening
With holistic dentistry, the main difference with other dentists is that holistic dentists also take a patient’s entire physical well-being into account. Regular cosmetic dentists will only focus on a patient’s mouth while ignoring other aspects of the body. This is a mistake when it comes to teeth whitening and a reason why you should go to a trusted holistic dentist instead. Many dentists will utilize chemicals to whiten a person’s teeth. These materials that they use are non-biocompatible, toxic, and potentially carcinogenic.
At Smilehaven Dental, our teeth whitening solutions are both biocompatible and effective – they’ll be safe and healthy for your entire body. Dr. Chan will investigate your teeth and also your eating habits in order to educate you of the potential benefits or risks that come from eating certain foods. This will lead to much better results when it comes to teeth whitening.
Why Choose Cosmetic Dentistry?
If you’ve ever found yourself unsatisfied with your smile or even if you’ve ever just thought that your smile wasn’t as nice as it could be, cosmetic dentistry could be just the solution for you. While cosmetic dentistry can obviously improve the way that your smile looks, it can provide numerous other benefits as well. A beautiful smile can:
- Allow you to never be afraid to smile or laugh in public.
- Boost your confidence and self-esteem.
- Give others a more positive first opinion of you.
- Lead to more social and professional success.
Our Cosmetic Dentistry Treatments
Cosmetic dentistry can help out a person’s smile in many different ways. Some of these treatments that you’ll be able to receive from your cosmetic dentist in La Mesa and El Cajon, CA are as follows:
- Teeth Whitening –The most popular cosmetic dentistry treatment around; through a quick and simple process, teeth whitening can make your teeth whiter and brighter.
- Bonding –This is capable of repairing smaller chips and cracks in your teeth.
- Veneers –By placing these thin ceramic shells on the fronts of your teeth, you’ll be able to mask any imperfections, such as cracks, chips, and misshapen teeth.
- Crowns –If you have large amounts of missing tooth structure due to decay or trauma, a crown will cover over the tooth and improve its appearance while also bringing stability to it.
- Dental Implants –If you have any missing teeth, dental implants can act as permanent, natural substitutes.