Dr. Holinbeck has always had a calling for the health care field, and being able to take care of so many different people and play a crucial role in their improved health is a true passion for her. She is also dedicated to continual learning and has completed hundreds of hours of advanced training over the course of her career in order to provide the highest quality of clinical service possible. She looks forward to welcoming you in soon as a patient.
Dental implants are an integral component to our practice of dentistry, as they most closely copy the look and function of teeth. A dental implant replaces the root of a tooth, the part that is embedded in the jaw, allowing for tooth replacement to be secure and permanent. You can eat, brush, floss and talk as normal. Historically, the challenges with implants have been the use of of titanium. But in the last 15 years, metal-free implants have been a viable alternative, giving people more options for a natural tooth replacement. All implants placed at Bionica Dental Wellness are made of zirconia, a metal-free (bioceramic) material that has been proven to be high strength and friendly to the bone and gum. The results are a tooth replacement that is durable, long-lasting, esthetic, and healthy for the whole body.
Benefits of Bioceramic Implants
- Improve your smile – Zirconia looks and acts like your natural tooth and because it is not metal, there is no unsightly grayness near the gums. Now you can smile brightly and confidently!
- Improving your ability to chew and speak – Because of the strength and durability of zirconia, you will be able to enjoy normal healthy eating and talking, which will improve your quality of life.
- Biocompatible and Hypoallergenic – Zirconia has no thermal or electrical conductivity. Also, there has been no documented allergy to this material. In fact, research shows that it is more favorable to the body than titanium.
- Hygienic – Zirconia does not attract plaque and bacteria build up the way metals do.
- High success and backed by research – When placed and restored by an experienced dentist, zirconia implants have up to a 95% success rate over a 10 year period.
- Preserves bone and maintains the bite – Placing an implant where a tooth is missing engages the bone and discourages it from wearing away. Because zirconia is friendly to the tissues, your bone is more likely to stay engaged for a longer period of time.
- Low Maintenance – Unlike with a traditional bridge or removable partial denture, a single dental implant does not require any further maintenance than your daily brushing, flossing, irrigation and rinsing. There is no denture to soak at night and no bridge to clean below.
- Preserves tooth structure – When you replace a tooth with a bridge, the adjacent teeth will need to be cut down in order to fit crowns. With implants, it is usually not necessary to adjust the adjacent teeth, which protects them from restorative complications.
How Dental Implants Work
Once you and Dr. Holinbeck agree that dental implants are the best option to replace your missing teeth, the procedure will involve the following steps:
- After assessing your health from head-to-toe, Dr. Holinbeck will plan the placement of the implant using state-of-the-art 3D scanning technology. Guides are often used to ensure that the implant is placed in the most ideal position.
- Once the implant is in place, you’ll be given time to heal, which can take anywhere from 3-6 months depending on how many implants were placed and the health of the jawbone.
- To ensure faster and easier healing, Dr. Holinbeck often uses Platelet Rich Fibrin (PRF) to encourage the growth of new, healthy tissue and reduce the risk of post-operative complications.
- Once healing is complete and the bone has fully secured the implant, the final metal-free restoration will be placed.
- At this point, consistent oral hygiene and attending regular checkups will help maintain the look and function of the implant for decades to come.
Dental Checkups & Teeth Cleanings
When you come to see us for a routine checkup and cleaning, Dr. Holinbeck won’t just examine your teeth and gums looking for cavities and gum disease. Instead, she’ll keep an eye out for these issues and make sure the system, consisting of your head, neck, and jaw, is working together properly. She’ll also look for signs in the mouth that could indicate the presence of whole-body health problems. By taking this more comprehensive approach, we’re able to protect our patients from much more than just tooth decay.
Saliva pH Testing
The acronym “pH” stands for potential hydrogen – essentially, it describes either the chemical acidity or alkalinity levels of any certain substance. A patient’s saliva pH range should fall somewhere between 6.2 and 7.6. If this value is lower, it may indicate the presence of dangerous bacteria and a higher risk of enamel breakage. Thus, regularly checking pH levels can actually be valuable when determining whether dental treatment is needed. Dr. Holinbeck will know when she and her team need to implement more involved preventive measures to help you avoid decay!
Gum Disease Treatment
The health of your gums has a direct impact on the rest of your body, and this fact is never too far from our team’s minds. Without consistent oral hygiene, the gums can actually develop an infection called periodontal disease, which in addition to damaging the mouth, can also increase someone’s risk for conditions like diabetes, heart disease, and dementia. If we spot any redness or swelling in your gums, we can perform a special deep cleaning designed to remove infection and safeguard your health from head-to-toe.
Nightguards for Bruxism (Teeth Grinding)
If the daily grind is literally causing your teeth to break down or your jaw to ache, it needs to be addressed right away, otherwise, you could develop chronic pain throughout your head and neck and experience unrestorable fractured teeth. A simple solution we can offer is a nightguard, which is a custom-made protective appliance that slips over the teeth and provides a barrier between them to prevent any harmful contact. This can also help relieve persistent TMJ pain.
Oral Cancer Screenings
Oral cancer claims at least one life each and every hour, and a big reason for this is that the disease is very easy to miss during its early stages. This means many patients don’t really notice anything until the cancer is already advanced and difficult to treat. Our team’s trained eyes are able to spot the initial signs, however, so we’ll give you an oral cancer screening at every checkup.
Traditional fillings are made of a gray metallic material called amalgam, and while they may have been the go-to treatment for fixing cavities for decades, concerns have grown over recent years due to the fact that they contain mercury. If you’re looking to replace your defective metal fillings with a more aesthetic and biocompatible alternative, we can use the patented Safe Mercury Amalgam Removal Technique (SMART) that’s specifically designed to keep you protected from amalgam particulates and mercury vapor. In just one appointment, you can finally say “Goodbye!” to those pesky gray marks in your smile.
Dental Crowns & Bridges
While we make every effort to restore teeth conservatively and preserve as much tooth structure as possible, sometimes teeth need more. In the event of a broken tooth or one with extensive amounts of decay, a crown may be needed. Using our single-visit technology, we can fabricate an all-ceramic, metal-free crown that will support the tooth and reinforce its strength.
You can think of a bridge as multiple crowns connected together to replace a missing tooth. When an implant is not possible, a bridge is a viable solution for replacing a missing tooth.
Not all tooth-colored fillings are the same. Bionica Dental Wellness has selected the highest quality, BPA-free composite resin materials to use. This tooth-colored filling material mimics the biology of teeth and provides an esthetic repair. The malleable nature of the resin also allows us to preserve more tooth structure while repairing it, which prolongs the lifespan of the tooth.
Dentures & Partial Dentures
Custom-made full or partial dentures are a good option if you are missing several or all of your teeth but implants are not possible. Dr. Holinbeck can help you reclaim your bite and your confidence with a metal-free prosthesis that looks as good and is light-weight. Adding implants to this will provide an even more secure fit with improved function.
Biological Tooth Extractions
While we prioritize saving teeth when possible, sometimes a tooth has suffered too much damage and needs to be removed. When this is the case, Dr. Holinbeck has received training to remove teeth with the least trauma possible. She also takes time to debride the extraction site in order to get rid of infected tissue and periodontal ligament (PDL). She will then flush the site with ozone/oxygen in order to kill pathogens and decrease post-op complications. Lastly, our team is always happy to answer questions before and after the procedure, because we know how nerve-wracking the process can feel.
Dental implants hold a truly special place in dentistry because they are the only treatment that’s able to replace an entire missing tooth, fully replicating it aesthetically and functionally. They restore both the root and crown of a tooth at the same time, basically recreating every part of natural dental structure. Here, patients can have their new implanted teeth made from 100% zirconia, a strong and extremely durable ceramic that looks natural and can be trusted to last for decades to come.
Porcelain veneers literally give a patient the ability to change the shape, size, and color of their teeth to whatever they want. Thin ceramic restorations are placed over the front of the teeth and firmly bonded to ensure a strong and secure fit. The best thing about veneers is that they’re able to correct multiple flaws at the same time, including stains, chips, cracks, gaps, and even slightly crooked teeth. They are always custom-made as well, and you can get just one or an entire set in as little as two appointments.
Metal-Free Dental Restorations
Research has confirmed that ceramic restorations are generally more biocompatible than metals. In other words, they don’t cause allergies, have no electrical conductivity, and the body responds better in their presence. Because modern ceramics are strong and durable, there is no need to compromise longevity with esthetics.
Invisalign® Clear Braces
If you’re an adult who’s interested in straightening your teeth, then you should seriously consider Invisalign. Instead of noticeable metal brackets and wires, all a patient has to do is wear a progressive series of nearly invisible mouth trays. They’re shaped to slowly move the teeth into their ideal positions, and no one will notice you’re wearing them. Hygiene is a breeze because you can even take the trays out to eat, brush and floss!
To fix minor dental flaws as quickly as possible, Dr. Holinbeck can apply a color-matched composite resin to any damaged, missing, or stained enamel, using it to literally sculpt a tooth to it’s ideal form. She then hardens it using a curing light, creating a firm and natural finish that blends easily into the smile.